Enabling Glamor acceleration

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 26 05:52:25 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 07:19:02AM +0000, Yu, Chan KitX wrote:
> Thanks for your valuable pointer.
>
> I then tried compiling the latest xorg-server 1.17.1 with --enable-glamor but unfortunately I got these nasty compile errors. http://pastebin.com/cQi1geM9 I'm really clueless about how this happened and how to tackle it.
>
> Chan-Kit

Sorry, I've no idea.  The error is 'conflicting types for GC' in
glamor_prepare.c - previous definition seems to be in the server's
gcstruct.h.

It built for me with what were current Xorg versions, and gcc-4.9.1,
a couple of months ago, and then with some newer Xorg packages and
gcc-5.1.  I suspect that something, either your compiler, or the
Xorg protocols and libraries, is different in your build.  The first
problem seems to be from Xlib.h.

My own builds are based on beyond linuxfromscratch -
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/stable/ for the 1.17.1
server and gcc-4.9.1.  The latest server is actually 1.17.2, but I
do not think that is likely to make a difference to your build.
We (blfs) have got it in our development book, but I don't think
I've used it yet.  Unfortunately, we include almost everything in
our build (you don't need it all, but certainly all the protocols
and libraries - in the correct order) and to see the versions we
were using you need to look at the pages for the protocol headers
and the libraries - apart from those libraries which have their own
page (for those you can see the version in the index).

Are you making a multilib build ?  I haven't done that for years,
but I suppose that picking up 32-bit headers in a 64-bit build might
give the result you got.

One further thought - when you get past the server build failure,
the video driver might not support glamor: for intel, I think I
saw that recent development versions no longer support it - older
versions do, of course, but blfs moved on because somebody with a
recent machine reported that he needed a newer version.  The
modesetting video driver should still work.

If that doesn't help, I'm out of ideas.

ĸen