Manual and options for the "modesetting" driver

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Jun 18 08:41:15 PDT 2015

I'm trying to use the "modesetting" driver for a dual-monitor setup
using a displaylink adapter and a Poulsbo card, and where the monitors
are rotated and where I only want 16bpp.

The only part I managed to get is an output on my Poulsbo-connected
monitor, but all the other things I specified in my xorg.conf seem to be
ignored, so: is there a manual somewhere listing the available options
(I've discovered "kmsdev" so far)?

FWIW, find appended my current attempt (which gives the same result as
a trivial xorg.conf that just says to use "modesetting").

        Stefan

############### DisplayLink Stuff ###############

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "DisplayLinkDevice"
        driver          "modesetting"
        Option  "kmsdev" "/dev/dri/card1"
	Option	"Rotate"	"CCW"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "DisplayLinkMonitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "DisplayLinkScreen"
    Device "DisplayLinkDevice"
    Monitor "DisplayLinkMonitor"
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth 16         # 24bit works fine but for USB 2.0 a lot of data
        #Modes "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

############ Original Video Settings ###########

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        driver          "modesetting"
        Option  "kmsdev" "/dev/dri/card0"
	Option	"Rotate" "CCW"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
	# Doesn't seem to work.
	#Option	"Rotate"	"left"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "DefaultScreen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier "Server Layout"
	Screen 0 "DefaultScreen" 0 0
    	Screen 1 "DisplayLinkScreen" RightOf "DefaultScreen"
        Option "Xinerama" "on"
EndSection