Fwd: ctrl-alt-2 as at (@)

Knut Olav Bøhmer bohmer at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 10:14:30 PDT 2015

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for the suggestion. I this now, and it did not work.
I did get some warnings but I suspect they are not relevant.
The warnings was:
Warning:          No symbols defined for <AB11> (keycode 97)
(and repeted for the following symbols:
<JPCM>,<I120>,<AE13>,<I149>,<I154>,<I168>,<I178>,<I183>,<I184>,<FK19>,<FK24>,<I217>,<I219>,<I221>,<I222>,<I230>,<I247>,<I248>,<I249>,<I250>,<I251>,<I252>,<I253>)

Best regards
Knut

> Hello Knut,
>
> Apparently, your keyboard attempts to make its special keys usable
> without special drivers.  Many layouts have @ on the AltGr-layer of the
> 2 key.  So, to implement a @ key with such a layout, the keyboard
> firmware could emulate pressing AltGr+2 simultaneously.  Moreover, on
> Windows, pressing Ctrl+Alt is equivalent to pressing AltGr key.  So, on
> Windows, emulating pressing Control+Alt+2 would work as well.  Your
> keyboard manufacturer has chosen this second, Windows-specific
> non-portable possibility.
>
> You can work around this.  First, dump your current layout:
>
>   xkbcomp -xkb :0 mylayout.xkb
>
> Then you edit this file.  You look for key <AE02> and change the section
> there to read like follows (I assume that you use a Danish layout):
>
>     key <AE02> {
>         type= "CTRL+ALT",
>         symbols[Group1]= [               2,        quotedbl,
> at,     twosuperior, at ]
>     };
>
> Then you send the modified layout back to the server:
>
>   xkbcomp mylayout.xkb :0
>
> Depending on the software you are using, this might or might not be
> sufficient.  If you want to use Control+2, or if you use software which
> implements keyboard handling sloppily, some more changes might be
> required to workaround those quirks.  Let us know.
>
> Andreas

Knut Olav Bøhmer

Knut Olav Bøhmer