New Monitor Weirdnesses or how do I get Xorg to pay attention to my xorg.conf file?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Dec 4 18:06:13 PST 2015

At Fri, 4 Dec 2015 15:11:33 -0500 xorg at lists.x.org wrote:

> I am just using the KVM included in CentOS7 with Cloudstack.
> Not sure what I am missing by not including Xen but I am pretty new at it.

CentOS 5 predates KVM and used Xen for virtualization. CentOS 6 and 7 include
KVM for virtualization and don't use a Xen hypervisor. You are not 'missing'
anything: Xen is just the older virtualization hypervisor.

> I can not help but believe that CentOS 7 would be a better platform for
> virtualization than CentOS 5.
>
> CentOS 7 is not too bad but it is different and it has taken me a while
> to stop fighting it.

I don't want to take that step until I have learned to deal with the likes of
systemd, etc.  I install CentOS 6 as the host and install CentOS 7 in a VM, to
have a standbox to learn in, and still be able to get work done.

> The changes to networking and the firewall were hard to absorb. The new
> way to manage processes is still a bit of a challenge for me but I am
> not spending any time on this since it works just fine.
>
> I run a software firewall, DNS server and virtual router which I moved
> from CentOS 4 to CentOS 7 and it seems to work better but it is hard to
> tell if it is the newer hardware or the new OS. This is a critical part
> of the infrastructure and I am happy with the change.
> The hardware was too old to run the nouveau driver properly so I am
> running the NVIDIA legacy driver. Works but I am not using it as a
> workstation.
>

> Ron
>
>   On 04/12/2015 12:43 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> > At Fri, 4 Dec 2015 11:42:18 -0500 xorg at lists.x.org wrote:
> >
> >> If you ready for some fun, CentOS 7 is out and into its third revision.
> >>
> >> Did I miss the discussion about the drivers from NVIDIA? I am using them
> >> with new and old hardware(different machines).
> >> A bit tricky to get working and there are different drivers for legacy
> >> cards and newer cards.
> > The drivers from NVIDIA are not supported for Xen-based systems.  I am using
> > Xen for virtualization, so the drivers from NVIDIA are not an option.
> > Appearently the kernel and Xorg that sh
> >
> >> I had trouble with the nouveau driver but it may have been me or may
> >> have been an early version.
> > The nouveau driver is not available for CentOS 5 -- the kernel and Xorg
> > libraries are too old.
> >
> >> CentOS 7 runs well but it does have a lot of changes to the tools that
> >> one got used to in CentOS 5 and 6.
> > *I* am not ready for that big a change.  It would probably be too disruptive
> > for my work flow.  I *may* install CentOS 7 as a VM at some point.
> >
> >> It is supposed to be a better workstation OS.
> >>
> >> I am still running 5 and 6 on some production machines.
> >> I am not using my units as workstations but like to have the GUI working
> >> well in case I have some maintenance activities that are easier in the GUI.
> >>
> >> Ron

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933