building / configuring X correctly

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Aug 5 20:51:06 PDT 2015

On 06.08.2015 12:13, Christopher Barry wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 11:29:16 +0900
> Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:
>
>> On 06.08.2015 09:04, Christopher Barry wrote:
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I got a new video card (radeon r9 390) to replace my aging hd7850
>>> and it caused total system lockups in debian sid after just a few
>>> minutes in Blender. I decided to try to compile X and friends from
>>> source to get the latest of everything (using build.sh). I compiled
>>> and installed the latest LLVM and glamor as well. I've used multiple
>>> sources of information from the web, but I'm stymied at this point.
>>>
>>> Bottom line: I get no hw acceleration, only two of my three monitors
>>> are displaying, and it's not clear to me if I have radeonsi running
>>> right or not or at all.
>>>
>>> I'm hoping someone can spot something obviously wrong I'm doing.
>>> There's a bunch of different log and system output data in the
>>> linked zipfile that may prove useful in understanding what's not
>>> right.
>>>
>>> https://filetea.me/t1sY8IXSi6CTVivPu7e3oRTsw
>>>
>>> The build log shows a bunch of attempts at getting mesa to compile,
>>> but indeed it finally did. I'm not sure my options are correct
>>> though.
>>
>> Looks fine to me.
>>

>>From Xorg.0.log:
>>
>>> [     9.806] couldn't get display device
>>> [     9.806] (EE) RADEON(0): glamor detected, failed to initialize
>>> EGL.
>>
>> glamor fails to initialize EGL, so you're currently not using any
>> hardware acceleration. Can try running Xorg with the environment
>> variable EGL_LOG_LEVEL=debug and get the stderr output from that?
>>

> I honestly didn't really know how to do what you asked, but I tried
> this:
>
> export EGL_LOG_LEVEL=debug; Xorg :1 -terminate \
> 2>&1 >> /tmp/egl-debug.log & sleep 2 ; DISPLAY=:1 xterm

Yeah, that's basically what I had in mind.

> Nothing got output to /tmp/egl-debug.log, and these errors were in the
> new Xorg.1.log:

The permission errors aren't in the Xorg.0.log you referenced before, so
I don't think they're relevant.

It looks like libgbm fails to initialize. According to the ldconfig.log
you referenced, libgbm.so.1 isn't getting picked up from /opt/xorg,
fixing that might help.