building / configuring X correctly

Christopher Barry christopher.barry at earborg.com
Wed Aug 5 20:13:59 PDT 2015

On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 11:29:16 +0900
Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:

>On 06.08.2015 09:04, Christopher Barry wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I got a new video card (radeon r9 390) to replace my aging hd7850
>> and it caused total system lockups in debian sid after just a few
>> minutes in Blender. I decided to try to compile X and friends from
>> source to get the latest of everything (using build.sh). I compiled
>> and installed the latest LLVM and glamor as well. I've used multiple
>> sources of information from the web, but I'm stymied at this point.
>>
>> Bottom line: I get no hw acceleration, only two of my three monitors
>> are displaying, and it's not clear to me if I have radeonsi running
>> right or not or at all.
>>
>> I'm hoping someone can spot something obviously wrong I'm doing.
>> There's a bunch of different log and system output data in the
>> linked zipfile that may prove useful in understanding what's not
>> right.
>>
>> https://filetea.me/t1sY8IXSi6CTVivPu7e3oRTsw
>>
>> The build log shows a bunch of attempts at getting mesa to compile,
>> but indeed it finally did. I'm not sure my options are correct
>> though.
>
>Looks fine to me.
>

>From Xorg.0.log:
>
>> [     9.806] couldn't get display device
>> [     9.806] (EE) RADEON(0): glamor detected, failed to initialize
>> EGL.
>
>glamor fails to initialize EGL, so you're currently not using any
>hardware acceleration. Can try running Xorg with the environment
>variable EGL_LOG_LEVEL=debug and get the stderr output from that?

I honestly didn't really know how to do what you asked, but I tried
this:

export EGL_LOG_LEVEL=debug; Xorg :1 -terminate \
2>&1 >> /tmp/egl-debug.log & sleep 2 ; DISPLAY=:1 xterm

Nothing got output to /tmp/egl-debug.log, and these errors were in the
new Xorg.1.log:
egrep '(EE)|(WW)' /opt/xorg/var/log/Xorg.1.log
[ 15142.204] (EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version
1.4: Permission denied
[ 15142.565] (EE) RADEON(0): glamor detected, failed to initialize EGL.
[ 15143.352] (WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
[ 15143.357] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
[ 15143.446] (EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version
1.4: Permission denied

Not sure why it's permission denied, I'm in the video group,
and /opt/xorg/bin/Xorg is mode 6755. Must be how I'm invoking it...