xserver-xorg.synaptics question

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Apr 28 10:16:17 PDT 2015

On Tuesday 28 April 2015 10:39:04 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> On Dienstag, 28. April 2015 12:47:21 CEST, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Can you kind folks recommend a distribution with a lightweight gui
> > that actually works?, or do I have to open this 12 year old puny
> > powered lappy up and physically disconnect the touchpad?
>
> I missed most of the thread and dunno why Mint nukes config paths, but
> you can probably use synclient to adjust the touchpad at runtime (in
> doubt from some login script)
>
> synclient FingerLow=35
> synclient FingerHigh=40
>
> play with the values until it's nice for you. Keep Low below High.
>
> There's also
> synclient PalmDetect=1
>
> for the clumsy among us =)
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas

You missed the point Thomas.  I have a mouse. I want that touchpad
totally and absolutely nuked, as if it is just an odd colored piece of
plastic in the panel that does absolutely nothing.

This particular version of the pad control, called tpconfig I think, is
so confused that disabling the touchpad tabs scrolling also disables the
mouse wheel.

But its moot. I am now trying to get lubuntu 14.04-2 LTS to start the
install, but its stuck looking for a network connection it will never
find because there is not a dhcpd running anyplace on my local network,
which isn't in the 192.168.1 block.  And no way to nuke network-mangler
long enough to edit and commit the correct network configs to make it
Just Work(TM)

I am out of patience with that network destroyer.  If I could reach into
the dvd and burn out the space occupied by it, I would in a millisecond.

Thanks for the reply Thomas.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)