xserver-xorg.synaptics question

Eric Gunther egunther at warwick.net
Tue Apr 28 05:00:14 PDT 2015

On Tue, 2015-04-28 at 07:19 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 April 2015 06:38:53 Eric Gunther wrote:
> > > Mint 17.1 Xfce.  I had to make that directory, and moved it to
> > > 50-synaptics.conf in that otherwise empty, newly created dir.
> > > Rebooted now, I'll check.  Nope, not a noticeable difference.  Copy
> > > of Xorg.0.log attached.
> >
> > Hi Gene,
> >
> > Shouldn't you just decrease the sensitivity in xfce settings:
> > http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-settings/mouse
>
> My control panel>mouse>touchpad_tab config has only a disable tp when
> typing, and scrolling choices none, both of which are checked.
> It doesn't resemble that one above other than its a popup too.
>
> Having wasted about 3 weeks trying to get this as usable as a 12 yo
> Mandrake install was OOTB, I am ready to move on.  The only thing I have
> managed to make work that did not after the install reboot networking
> and NFS4.
>
> I set t-bird up to one on my accounts and exersized it to prove it works
> and shut off the periodical mail fetch since this machine does it if its
> up.  An hour later, I come back to the machine and find its scarfed up
> 300+ messages that should have come to this machine, and it did it
> despite being told to stop.
>
> The synaptic package manager has been castrated by the removal of
> the "mark all upgrades" button.  I mean whoinhell is gonna scan thru the
> listing of 46 thousand packages, finding the ones that are upgradeable
> according the the green installed icon having a faint up arrow in it,
> and enable THAT individual package to be upgraded by dbl clicking, not
> on the icon mind you, but someplace in the descriptive text.  Get real
> folks, you cannot be expected to do that to all 1700 some packages
> needing updated after the install.  But I did just that anyway.
>
> So many of what some people might call little things are broken in this
> mint 17.1 xfce install that I am going out to see if I can find a distro
> that Just Works.  Something that is lightweight enough to work on an
> elderly laptop.  I do not consider that 15 to 30 seconds to open an app
> after its clicked on, running.  The drive led is on for 90% of this lag
> period.  Its 100Gb drive tests perfectly.  It only has a gig of memory,
> but hasn't touched swap yet.
>
> This one, Mint-17.1 xfce ain't it.
>
> > -eg
> >
> Thanks Eric.
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Well, I was and likely will be soon running a FreeBSD os on an older
laptop; What I liked was blackbox, which is extremely simple, although
you have to set up X manually, and blackbox is not currently
supported/developed... I think.  No bells and whistles, but you can use
the gui.  Initially on startup you will see a blank colored screen with
a bar on the bottom.  Middle mouse, right mouse and left mouse open
menus which are configurable.

~2 cents

-eg

http://blackboxwm.sourceforge.net/BlackboxWiki