xserver-xorg.synaptics question

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Apr 28 03:47:21 PDT 2015

On Tuesday 28 April 2015 02:53:28 Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 12:02:56AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 27 April 2015 23:53:00 Felix Miata wrote:
> > > Gene Heskett composed on 2015-04-27 23:10 (UTC-0400):

> > > Nothing I recognize. Something else you can try is putting a file
> > > of whatever name you please in $HOME, then export
> > > 'XORGCONFIG=whatever' in .bashrc. If that doesn't work either,
> > > maybe there's a bug or the ignore option for synaptics has been
> > > removed. Or, maybe Mint is using the libinput driver instead of
> > > the synaptics driver and there's a whole different methodology
> > > required to disable it.
> >
> > Sound like I ought to head back over to their list & see if I can
> > synthesize some hate & discontent.  They have been nice, but also
> > less than helpfull on this front.
> >
> > I'll give this a shot too, but from what I see in the startup log
> > for x, it isn't looking at anything I have done so far, so I don't
> > have any great hopes that the above might work.  Sigh.
>
> from your log:
> [    39.796] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Apr 27
> 22:54:01 2015
> [    39.851] (==) Using system config directory
> "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
>
> from my log:
> [370012.609] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Tue Apr 28
> 13:09:52 2015
> [370012.610] (==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
> [370012.610] (==) Using system config directory
> "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
>
> Check your/mint's configure options. This is rather odd.

Odd? I'll nominate that for understatement of the month.

I have now read everything in  /etc/X11, and everything in /usr/share/X11
to no avail.  Without finding a clue as to which of these directories
that LOOK like the configuration directories is used. Nothing I can edit
into 50-synaptics.conf, no matter where I find it, does a thing. I just
commented out the whole touchpad stanza in evdev too.  Zero effect.  It,
and its buttons still work after the reboot.

My patience runneth out.

I am tired, sick to death of its focus stealing, or highlighting the
whole message as I type, to have the whole damned message disappeaar
before I can stop my fingers from typing the next character.  I want it
100% gone. Effectively an empty hole in the lappies panel.

Can you kind folks recommend a distribution with a lightweight gui that
actually works?, or do I have to open this 12 year old puny powered
lappy up and physically disconnect the touchpad?

> Cheers,
>    Peter

Thanks Peter.

Cheers, Gene Heskett