CVE-1999-0526 Vulnerbility on W2k8 R2

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Sep 23 16:49:11 PDT 2014

On 09/23/14 04:45 PM, Duane Fish wrote:
> It gets scanned by Verizon - they use a pretty good tool for it, so I'm pretty
> sure it's not made up.
>
> I just personally don't know much about the server, as it's not my primary
> responsibility.
>
>  From what I thought I sent, it sounds like MS' own X-Windows that's the problem.

Microsoft doesn't make a version of the X Window System - they instead have
Microsoft Windows, which is completely their implementation, not using our
API, protocol, design, or technology, just a similar name because both involve
putting applications in windows on the screen.

> I followed the link in the vulnerability alert (below), and mention of the X
> server brought me to X-Org.  If I am in the wrong place, please let me know.

You're probably in the wrong place, which is why I kept suggesting you figure
out what software you're really running.  Xorg software is usually found on
systems running Linux or Unix, not Microsoft Windows.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com