[Mesa-dev] Interested in contributing to WGL support in Waffle Project, for GSoC 2014

Jordan Justen jljusten at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 09:20:41 PDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Vidudaya Bandara <vnbandara at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm Vidudaya Neranjan Bandara , Currently I'm an undergraduate from
> University of Moratuwa , Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Sri
> Lanka. I'm very much interested in open source software development and
> thought to contribute to the society because I know the value of it.
> I would really like to contribute to the project of  WGL support in Waffle .
>
> Since there is less information in the GSoC 2014 Idea page, can anyone give
> me some introduction/description to begin.

Waffle is a library that helps an application initialize OpenGL. The
web-page for the project is at:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~chadversary/waffle/

A very simple application that uses waffle is in the waffle source tree:
https://github.com/waffle-gl/waffle/blob/master/examples/gl_basic.c

Currently Waffle works on Linux, Mac and android, but it does not yet
work with Windows.

The piglit OpenGL test suite also uses Waffle. One of the mail goals
for Waffle support on Windows is to allow piglit to also use Waffle on
Windows.

I updated the http://www.x.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas/ wiki page with
some possible sub-goals for this task.

-Jordan