Radeon rv610 (2400HD-Pro card) question

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Feb 7 12:34:57 PST 2014

On Friday 07 February 2014 14:46:43 Alex Deucher did opine:

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 11:05 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > Since it appears nvidia is not supporting the econo cards in the
> > supply pipeline, cards like the 8400 GS I just bought 2 of, I got the
> > bright idea to swap it out for an old radeon 2400HD-Pro card I had on
> > the shelf.  So I built a 3.13.1 32 bit kernel and rebooted after
> > changing teh card.
> >
> > Color is nice, looks like a higher gamma setting.  But video speed is
> > just as bad and the audio was about 1.5 MINUTES behind the video, as
> > the nvidia card I took out on the news sites, so I toddled over to
> > youtube to see. Video played at about 2x normal speeds, and the audio
> > was still 1 minutes and change after the video.
> >
> > I've see stuff out of sync before, but over a minute?
> >
> > Called up synaptic & found there were some codecs I didn't have, so I
>
> > installed those, BUT another kernel rebuild reports:
> We are going to need a bit more information.  Which driver were you
> using fglrx or the open source driver?  What app were you using to
> play the video?  What API (Xv, X11, VDAPU, GL, etc.).  Is the driver
> installed and working properly?  How are you trying to play the audio?
>  Via hdmi, via a 1/8 headphone jack, something else?  At the minimum,
> we'd need your xorg log, dmesg output, and glxinfo output.  From your
> second email, it sounds like something is seriously screwed up on your
> system if gears is segfaulting.  If you previously had fglrx
> installed, you will need to re-install several of your disto packages
> because the closed source drivers (both nvidiia and fglrx) overwrite
> several gl and glx libs.
>
> Alex

No closed nvidia drivers, all nouveau. Top level apps were firefox27 or
chromium.  And to get something that attempts to work, I've swapped back to
the nvidia card.  I figured 2 days was long enough to wait for a reply, and
zero traffic from the list in that 2 days, and I needed something quasi-
usable.  If we can keep a conversation going, I will switch back.

Audio is a small amplified 3 speaker set plugged into line out on the asus
motherboards HDA Intel audio.  Too heavy on bass, but no controls.

xorg.0.log attached, but as you know, that is replaced on every startx or
equ.  So this one represents the nvidia card boot.  Looks to be an endless
framebuffer error in places.

I just reinstalled ALL the OpenGL and msa-glx stuff, no change, glxgears is
still a segfault. I didn't uninstall the flgrx stuff, but didn't reinstall
it either.

I am also building kernels a couple times a day, trying to get a 3.13.1 to
boot, but its hanging at top_init.  This is 3.12.9 ATM.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.