Radeon rv610 (2400HD-Pro card) question

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 11:02:22 PST 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 11:05 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> Since it appears nvidia is not supporting the econo cards in the supply
> pipeline, cards like the 8400 GS I just bought 2 of, I got the bright idea
> to swap it out for an old radeon 2400HD-Pro card I had on the shelf.  So I
> built a 3.13.1 32 bit kernel and rebooted after changing teh card.
>
> Color is nice, looks like a higher gamma setting.  But video speed is just
> as bad and the audio was about 1.5 MINUTES behind the video, as the nvidia
> card I took out on the news sites, so I toddled over to youtube to see.
> Video played at about 2x normal speeds, and the audio was still 1 minutes
> and change after the video.
>
> I've see stuff out of sync before, but over a minute?
>
> Called up synaptic & found there were some codecs I didn't have, so I
> installed those, BUT another kernel rebuild reports:

We are going to need a bit more information.  Which driver were you
using fglrx or the open source driver?  What app were you using to
play the video?  What API (Xv, X11, VDAPU, GL, etc.).  Is the driver
installed and working properly?  How are you trying to play the audio?
 Via hdmi, via a 1/8 headphone jack, something else?  At the minimum,
we'd need your xorg log, dmesg output, and glxinfo output.  From your
second email, it sounds like something is seriously screwed up on your
system if gears is segfaulting.  If you previously had fglrx
installed, you will need to re-install several of your disto packages
because the closed source drivers (both nvidiia and fglrx) overwrite
several gl and glx libs.

Alex