Need help with M$ touchmouse

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Dec 5 18:21:10 PST 2014

On Friday 05 December 2014 17:01:56 Thomas Lübking did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Freitag, 5. Dezember 2014 19:31:28 CEST, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > (II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
> > (EE) [drm] failed to open device
>
> See
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/TroubleShooting/#index1h3
>
> From what I've read so far, I'd just bet that the updated kernel drm
> mismatches the XOrg driver.
>
> > I reconfigured, built and installed a 3.16.0 kernel with the generic
> > fbdev
>
> added to the mix.
> Again: this is NOT the kernel module, but the xorg driver.
> You need to update XOrg (also for a new nouveau driver) or (actually)
> the entire distro.
>
> Building XOrg is far less time consuming than back then, when X11 came
> as a blob, but it requires you to know what you need and also (likely)
> to update some toolchain elements.
>
> I deleted most of the conversation, but since this is apparently not a
> production system: is there anything holding you back from just
> upgrading the distro version (resp. install a brand new one in
> parallel) to get a state-of-the-art SW stack?
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas

Other than the fact that even the LinuxCNC simulator would probably die,
and that would put me standing up at a machines keyboard in a somewhat
poorly heated shop building in the back yard.  Since I'm 80yo and my back
is killing me after a half an hour of that, not much else.

But that wouldn't stop me from making the try at building a new X if its
.configure script as as smart as most of the newer stuff seems to be.

Is it on git, or do I have to dl a tarball?

Thanks Thomas.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)