Are we need a gothic English keyboard layout?

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen eirik at opera.com
Tue Aug 26 22:39:30 PDT 2014

Hi-Angel <hiangel999 at gmail.com> writes:

> Officially it is called «Bold fraktur letters», position in Unicode
> U1D56C-U1D59F (𝕴𝖋 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖉𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖘𝖊𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖕𝖍𝖗𝖆𝖘𝖊 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖇𝖗𝖆𝖈𝖊𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖓 𝖞𝖔𝖚'𝖗𝖊
> 𝖘𝖈𝖗𝖊𝖜𝖊𝖉 — 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖘 𝖑𝖊𝖙𝖙𝖊𝖗𝖘 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖓𝖉𝖆𝖗𝖙 𝖘𝖎𝖓𝖈𝖊 2001 𝖞𝖊𝖆𝖗). Right now I
> made it up from one of an unused by me layouts of the
> «/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/» directory. But I think I could dig into
> it, and make a full keyboard layout if there is a chance that you're
> accept it.
> So, the question is: are you need this layout? Personally I think that
> it looks very beautiful, and since all over the internet using the
> Unicode, no would be a problems with a symbols encoding. I think we
> need it.

So what you want this for is to write english text (or possibly another
language that is usually written with roman letters), but you want the
styling of the characters to use the type face "fraktur"? Then really,
this is logically completely wrong. What you end up with is a sequence
of mathematical symbols that is pure nonsense rather than the english
sentence you thought you were writing.

The choice of "fraktur" rather than "times", "courier" or "arial" should
not change the representation of the text itself. Consider how painful
it would be if every search on google would only give you results where
the text was using the specific font you were searching with.

(But I'm not an xorg developer. Maybe they can see a use for it.)

eirik