Piii reboots puter b4 DE finishes initialization

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 19 01:59:46 PDT 2014

This has been happening in recent openSUSE 13.1 KDE3, openSUSE Factory KDE3,
and Fedora 21 KDE 4.1x. System runs fine without X running regardless what is
booted. Newest OSes not rebooting or crashing on this multiboot mga G400
machine until today's update rounds were openSUSE 12.3/server 1.13.2 and
Mageia 3/server 1.13.4. Updating 13.1 and Factory and trying other kernels
didn't help. Where do I start looking for clues to whether fault is/was CPU
type, (gfxchip/driver[1]), server, acceleration method, DE, kernel or
something else, so as to get 13.1 and Factory to reboot or lockup no longer?
Anyone know the culprit?

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/F/xorg.0.log-f21KDErebootX before today's updates
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/F/xorg.0.log-f21OK after today's F21 updates
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/SUSE/Factory/xorg.0.log-os132KDErebootX after today's
Factory updates

Last line in last URI above:
[    88.469] (EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version 1.4:
Permission denied

Is that the clue?

[1] looks like not the MGA G400  or its driver. I brought a different Factory
system up to date, but with a P4 CPU, and cannot reproduce the problem there.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/