Multitouch in X - Pointer emulation question ?

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Oct 22 16:20:29 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:55:24AM +0200, Patrice B wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I'm working on a kernel evdev driver that provides MT events. This device
> is correctly detected by  evdev Xorg driver and I'm able to see MT events
> using "xinput text-xi2". I wrote also a small program based on xi2 which
> makes two rectangles follow my fingers on the screen and it works.
>
>   What is a bit "fuzzy" for me is how programs that don't handle XI2 should
> behave with MT driver. I read
> http://who-t.blogspot.fr/2011/12/multitouch-in-x-pointer-emulation.html,
> and I thought common application such as xev should received emulated
> classic X events. They don't receive anything in my case. Should they ?
> Does something about this emulation needs to be done in kernel driver ?

the server decides which client gets MT and which one gets an emulated
pointer on a per-client basis. your test program that registers for XI 2.2
won't see pointer emulation, but xev still should. Last I checked, this
worked here.

either way, there's nothing you need to do in the kernel driver. if you
speak the MT protocol B, the rest should be handled automatically.

Cheers,
   Peter