Choosing fonts and sizes

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 3 18:59:14 CET 2013

On 2013-10-30 02:04 (GMT) Glynn Clements composed:

> Steven Feil wrote:

>> I have also noticed that the problem is based on the computer it is
>> being displayed on and not the computer that XEmacs is being run
>> on. If I run XEmacs on the new computer I get the "wrong" font when
>> displaying it on the new computer. However If I run XEmacs on the new
>> computer but export the display to the old computer, I see it in the
>> "right" font. If I export the display the other way around where it is
>> displaying on the new computer, I get the "wrong" font again.

> My guess is that the font size is specified in points, and the
> displays have different physical resolutions (dpi), resulting in
> different font sizes in pixels.

> If that's the case, you can either specify the font size in pixels (at
> least, you can if you use X resources; I don't know about the
> customize interface), or force the new display to the same dpi as the
> old one via the -dpi option.

DisplaySize can be specified in xorg.conf* to any value that suits one's
purpose. This has the effect of enlarging and shrinking all objects according
to the deviation from actual display size.
http://fm.no-ip.com/Share/DisplaySize contains various values that result in
specific DPI targets according to screen resolution.
http://fm.no-ip.com/Share/xorg.conf-minimal-force-DPI contains a minimalist
xorg.conf to achieve such a particular result.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/