X forwarding inside emacs without an extra terminal

Joseph Mingrone jrm at ftfl.ca
Thu May 16 06:12:52 PDT 2013

I'm trying open a remote emacsclient with X forwarding without requiring a
local terminal sshed to the remote host.  When I say 'with X
forwarding' I mean that I open a terminal inside the remote emacs and
from there can open X programs.

If phe is the local host and gly is the remote host and I do

jrm at phe ~ % ssh -f gly 'emacsclient -nc'

the remote emacs opens and all is good.  However, from within that emacs
X forward doesn't work.  I get an error about the DISPLAY even though
the environment is correct.  A little investigation hints that the
problem is with the magic cookie exchange.

If I then open a local terminal and ssh to the remote host the X
forwarding inside the already-open remote emacsclient starts working.  I
can also open a terminal ssh to the remote host then start an
emacsclient.  Both of these solutions require a separate terminal open
to the remote host.

Is there a way to get this working without the extra terminal sshed to
the remote host?

Joseph