Failure to support 'savage' driver in 1.13.1

52midnight info at 52midnight.com
Tue Mar 5 19:17:16 PST 2013

Dear Xorg

I am in process of installing Gentoo on my desktop PC, and have found it
necessary to revert to Xorg-1.12.4 instead of the latest 1.13.1. Gentoo is
a rolling release source distro, so one is usually faced with the latest
versions of packages. When I emerged Xorg, version 1.13.1 was the default,
but an earlier installation had installed 1.12.2, so I was in the
fortunate position of being able to compare them on my rather outdated
hardware. The results of my efforts are summarized in a file on my
website, which contains the xorg.conf file I wrote, and four Xorg.0.log
files resulting from investigation:

http://52midnight.com/xorg.html

Assistance from the participants on the Gentoo forum provided a successful
workaround:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-952908.html

but they also suggested that I file a bug report with Xorg. I trust that
this may suffice as such.

With many thanks for your invaluable code
52midnight