Xorg configure unsupported card

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Sun Jun 30 09:48:43 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 12:37:25PM -0400, Tim Hawes wrote:

> Thank you! That did the trick! I then added a minimalistic version of
> the other sections, and added a fabricated but safe horizontal refresh
> for the monitor section, and I was able to get a 1280x800 display from
> the vesa driver.
>
> Do you know if it is possible to get a 1600x900 or even a 1920x1080
> display with vesa? I'd like to know the trick for that, or even the docs
> that cover that.

With the vesa driver it depends on the modes present in the VESA BIOS
of your card. It is not possible to add custom modes to that driver.

Check the list that is shown in Xorg.0.log. If those
modes are listed, then, given correct timing information for your
monitor, it should be possible.

But unfortunatly most BIOSes stop at a lower resolution.

--
Matthieu Herrb