doclifter cleanup of manual pages

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Jun 19 05:21:44 PDT 2013

With a couple of patches I just pushed to the public repos, and the
enclosed patch that needs to go to Keith Packard's xserver tree, the
X manual pages are now completely doclifter-clean and can all be lifted
to XML-DocBook without errors or warnings.

Some of the lifts could use improvement. In particular

(1) There might still be ad-hoc tables in various places that won't
    turn into HTML tables; these need to be found and wrapped in TBL
    markup, so doclifter can turn them into DocBook tables, so the
    HTML will be right.

(2) Not all C prototypes that should be are recognized and turned into
    DocBook prototype markup. Some are lifted as plain running text.

I have fairly reliable ways to find ad-hoc tables; I will apply them
and fix up the remaining ones.  C prototypes that won't parse aren't
so easy, alas; that will take many eyeballs looking at the lifted
DocBook synopses..