two dual-link mirroring displays

ivo welch ivo.welch at anderson.ucla.edu
Fri Jul 26 19:30:37 PDT 2013

dear Xperts.  I am running cinnamon mint olivia, which is based on
Xorg 1.13.3.  I have a medium-end nvidia graphics card with two dvi
outputs:

1:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [GeForce GT
610] (rev a1)

this card should have no difficulties driving two 2560x1600 Dell 3011
dual-link monitors on its two dvi ports.  I also have two 2560x1600
dual-link displays on cinnamon mint olivia.  I just want to mirror the
two monitors.   alas, X.org refuses to output full resolution on the
2nd dvi port.  it only likes the 1st dvi port at full resolution.  not
sure if this is a hardware problem or a software problem.

no problem, me thinks---I can just use a $10 Y-DVI adapter on the 1st
dvi port.  this works just great when I boot up with one monitor, and
once I am logged in, I attach the second monitor to the Y adapter.
both monitors then display 2560x1600, mirrored, just as I need it.

alas, when the computer goes to a screensaver for power saving and
then wakes up again, it ends up in low res (like 800x600).  at this
point, I cannot run xrandr at 2560x1600 because this resolution is not
detected.  instead, I need to unplug one monitor from the Y-adapter,
then run xrandr, and then plug in the second monitor again.  yes, it
works, but it is painful.

I need to convince the graphics card to trust me on the output instead
of querying the monitors, or better yet, ***just keep the last
resolution*** and not query upon screensave exit and bootup.  is this
possible??

I can run "cvt" when just one monitor is plugged in, I presume that
the output that I want is

Modeline "2560x1600_60.00"  348.50  2560 2760 3032 3504  1600 1603
1609 1658 -hsync +vsync

but when I have the monitor running, xrandr reports

  2560x1600 (0x495)  268.5MHz +HSync -VSync *current +preferred
        h: width  2560 start 2608 end 2640 total 2720 skew    0 clock   98.7KHz
        v: height 1600 start 1603 end 1609 total 1646           clock   60.0Hz

interestingly, xorg.conf is no more on ubuntu distributions.  so, I
have as a choice a user specific .xconfig (I think) or some config
directory or regeneration of the file.

what is the recommended way of doing this?

/iaw

----
Ivo Welch (ivo.welch at gmail.com)