Help? Xinerama with two cards

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 06:56:17 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 1:04 AM, David Iannucci
<kbetzy at punchcutter.ml1.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the responses Felix and Dave.  I will rearrange the
> quotations below a bit:
>
>> I find config files easier to work with than xrandr. You might
>> want to try. My last dual head session with Intel and Radeon left
>> these behind:
>
> Thanks... checked these out. I took your advice and did my best to
> craft an xorg.conf based on your examples and other documentation I
> found, but nothing is happening on my second monitor (this doesn't
> surprise me much).
>
> I have read a few times now that Xorg is not supposed to need config
> files any more - that it's mostly self-configuring, and xrandr is the
> way to go to manipulate your display if you need to, and this appeals to
> me a lot..... I never was very comfortable with xorg.conf :-)
>
> Please recall that what I'm trying to do is drive two heads off of
> _two different_ GPUs. I was told a few years ago by someone who
> seemed to know what he was talking about that X just doesn't DO that
> (at the time). My understanding was that recent changes in xrandr 1.4
> would allow it.
>
>> KDE 4.11 has KScreen, which is supposed to provide easy management of
>> multi screen configuration.
>
> Trying to go more minimalist, not more bloatist :-) :-)
>
> So here's the nutshell of what I'm left with:
>
> Xrandr shows me 3 outputs: VGA1, HDMI2, and DP1 (with only VGA1
> "connected", even though 2nd monitor is plugged into DVI port of
> Radeon). This DP1 original fooled me into thinking that the 2nd port on
> my Radeon card was a DisplayPort, but close examination shows it to be
> HDMI. So "DP1" is confusing. Between the 2 GPUs there are 4 output ports
> (two on each), so the fact that xrandr shows me 3 is a hint that my
> kernel is.... ok? But why not four?
>
> Finally, perhaps I failed to mention before that sometimes partial
> chunks of output (system boot messages), or a "distortion pattern" (?)
> appear on monitor 2. This is encouraging to me, but I don't know if it's
> really good news.
>
> Anyone who missed my original post can look below to see that
> xrandr --listproviders gives a sensible output.
>
> Hoping that this, my last post on the topic before giving up and
> probably buying an HDMI-VGA adaptor, will attract the attention of
> someone who knows how to troubleshoot it.
>
> At the very least, I would really like to know the truth about
> (1) whether X.org has never, historically, been able to drive a
> dual-head setup off of two GPUs, and

X has been able to drive multiple GPUs for years via a static xorg.conf.

>(2) whether xrandr 1.4 is really
> supposed to remedy this. Thanks a lot.

It's a start, but it's still not there for all configurations.  The
provider stuff in xserver 1.14 was mainly focused on support for
hybrid laptops and hot-pluggable USB display adapters.

Alex