Help? Xinerama with two cards

David Iannucci kbetzy at punchcutter.ml1.net
Thu Jul 11 22:04:56 PDT 2013

Thanks for the responses Felix and Dave.  I will rearrange the
quotations below a bit:

> I find config files easier to work with than xrandr. You might
> want to try. My last dual head session with Intel and Radeon left
> these behind:

Thanks... checked these out. I took your advice and did my best to
craft an xorg.conf based on your examples and other documentation I
found, but nothing is happening on my second monitor (this doesn't
surprise me much).

I have read a few times now that Xorg is not supposed to need config
files any more - that it's mostly self-configuring, and xrandr is the
way to go to manipulate your display if you need to, and this appeals to
me a lot..... I never was very comfortable with xorg.conf :-)

Please recall that what I'm trying to do is drive two heads off of
_two different_ GPUs. I was told a few years ago by someone who
seemed to know what he was talking about that X just doesn't DO that
(at the time). My understanding was that recent changes in xrandr 1.4
would allow it.

> KDE 4.11 has KScreen, which is supposed to provide easy management of
> multi screen configuration.

Trying to go more minimalist, not more bloatist :-) :-)

So here's the nutshell of what I'm left with:

Xrandr shows me 3 outputs: VGA1, HDMI2, and DP1 (with only VGA1
"connected", even though 2nd monitor is plugged into DVI port of
Radeon). This DP1 original fooled me into thinking that the 2nd port on
my Radeon card was a DisplayPort, but close examination shows it to be
HDMI. So "DP1" is confusing. Between the 2 GPUs there are 4 output ports
(two on each), so the fact that xrandr shows me 3 is a hint that my
kernel is.... ok? But why not four?

Finally, perhaps I failed to mention before that sometimes partial
chunks of output (system boot messages), or a "distortion pattern" (?)
appear on monitor 2. This is encouraging to me, but I don't know if it's
really good news.

Anyone who missed my original post can look below to see that
xrandr --listproviders gives a sensible output.

Hoping that this, my last post on the topic before giving up and
probably buying an HDMI-VGA adaptor, will attract the attention of
someone who knows how to troubleshoot it.

At the very least, I would really like to know the truth about
(1) whether X.org has never, historically, been able to drive a
dual-head setup off of two GPUs, and (2) whether xrandr 1.4 is really
supposed to remedy this. Thanks a lot.

Dave