Blurry Display (Panasonic TC-L42E60)

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 8 20:19:41 PDT 2013

On 2013-07-08 16:19 (GMT-0400) Steven Blatchford composed:

> At work I'm trying to setup a Panasonic TV (TC-L42E60) to be used as a
> monitor with a laptop (ThinkPad x220). I've turned off 'overscan' and
> the picture fits but it is still blurry.

> I've plugged the HDMI cable into an older 42" TV we have here and the
> picture is clear.  The only difference between two TV's, that I've
> found so far, is in the output of xrandr.

> New TV:
> HDMI2 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> 698mm x 392mm

> Old TV:
> HDMI2 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> 930mm x 520mm

> 698mm x 392mm is closer to a 32" monitor.  After attemping to set the
> displaysize to 930mm x 520mm (42") someone in the IRC channel suggested
> this was a red herring.

> Any ideas why the display would be blurry?

The ideas that come to top of my mind are inconsistent with your xrandr
excerpts. :-( Your laptop screen is 1366x768, right?

Swapping between that and 1920x1080 can be problematic. Which DE are you
running at what version?

What do Firefox or SeaMonkey report if you open
http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/dpi-screen-window.html ? Does what either report
make sense to you?

Does 'xrdb -query | grep dpi' report anything? If so, what?

Do xdpyinfo resolution and dpi match xrandr output?

If KDE or TDE, does Xserver report in KInfoCenter match xrdb, xdpyinfo and
xrandr?

Maybe you should upload Xorg.0.log from using each of the three displays so
we can compare?

The new TV may have defective EDID. Does its behavior change between
connecting it after boot and X startup, or before?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/