Blurry Display (Panasonic TC-L42E60)

Steven Blatchford sblatchford at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 13:19:55 PDT 2013

Hello All,

At work I'm trying to setup a Panasonic TV (TC-L42E60) to be used as a
monitor with a laptop (ThinkPad x220). I've turned off 'overscan' and
the picture fits but it is still blurry.

I've plugged the HDMI cable into an older 42" TV we have here and the
picture is clear.  The only difference between two TV's, that I've
found so far, is in the output of xrandr.

New TV:
HDMI2 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
698mm x 392mm

Old TV:
HDMI2 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
930mm x 520mm

698mm x 392mm is closer to a 32" monitor.  After attemping to set the
displaysize to 930mm x 520mm (42") someone in the IRC channel suggested
this was a red herring.

Any ideas why the display would be blurry?

-steve