softimage_opensuse_XGetRequest

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 13:56:28 PST 2013

On Sonntag, 27. Januar 2013 15:53:26 CEST, egunther at warwick.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank You very much for the reply.  Unfortunately I am kind of stumbling
> in the dark here and so tried what I 'got' or thought might work.  What I
> interpreted you to mean was that I 'could' copy another file, which in
> this case needed to be 64, because both the software and the OS are 64.
>
> I copied libXext.so.6 from /usr/lib64/

> /usr/Softimage/Softimage_2011/Application/bin/
>
> and X froze/crashed.

Errm ... sure you "copied" it, not more like "moved" it?

> I Did try to rm the newly copied libXext.so.6 from the

Well, in case you moved it away from it's former location, run "yast" from the textshell and reinstall the libXext package - otherwise you're screwed, except:

Notice also that the libXext.so.6 variant is usually only a symlink to eg. libXext.so.6.4.0 which in this case you only have to restore (as root)
cd /usr/lib64/
ls libXext.so.6*
ln -s libXext.so.6.4.0 libXext.so.6
(given libXext.so.6.4.0 exists and is not libXext.so.6.3.8 or so)

For the future: do not (never) attempt to fix anything by deleting anything - destrucitve step that cannot be undone.
Just move the file away ("mv libXext.so.6 not.libXext.so.6")

>      Otherwise it appeared from what you had said that I would need
> to find a version of libX11 that would include that ?compile flag?
Not a compile flag. When the libXext was compiled (by autodesk) there was a libX11.so around which contained such symbol. Your system now tries to find that symbol, but can't and therefore the process cannot be executed.

> had used that option to compile.  That didn't seem like I could  follow
> that through.

There may be more recent packages provided by OpenSuSE where libX11 already has that symbol, but i don't know that.

> export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/Softimage/Softimage_2011/Application/bin:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

Since sofimage already invoked libXext from that location, this (or an equal) step must have been present when you encountered the error message you initially posted here.

Cheers,
Thomas