(*pDamage->damageMarker) Crashes

Maarten Maathuis madman2003 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 15:11:35 PST 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM, prudhvi raj <prudhviraj.v at gmail.com> wrote:
> In Xorg-1.12.0, in a random scenario Xorg server crashes in
> damageRegionProcessPending (DrawablePtr pDrawable)
> {src/miext/damage/damage.c} when the (*pDamage->damageMarker) call is made.
>
> /* submit damage marker whenever possible. */
> if (pDamage->damageMarker)
>     (*pDamage->damageMarker) (pDrawable, pDamage, &pDamage->backupDamage,
> &pDamage->pendingDamage, pDamage->closure);
>
> But pDamage->damageMarker is initialized with NULL in DamageCreate function,
> and there after no explicit function assignment is found in the source. Not
> clear who has assigned a valid function to pDamage->damageMarker.
>
> This (*pDamage->damageMarker) call crashes explicitly when it a call
> initiated from CloseDownClient () calls this.
>
> Can some one throw any light, on the purpose of pDamage->damageMarker
> function and what is it supposed to do? and who should be using it?

When i say your mail i vaguely remembered something, and it seems that
i wrote this support
(http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=974db58f5b730c3770ee461665a02dd4334d1dea)
based on an idea that i had back then. But it you need a video driver
to actually activate this functionality. So you should check the
sourcecode of the driver that you are using if you can. To be honest i
don't know if anyone actually used this.

--
Far away from the primal instinct, the song seems to fade away, the
river get wider between your thoughts and the things we do and say.