driver/xf86-input-vmmouse : cannot create regular file `/lib/udev/rules.d/69-xorg-vmmouse.rules': Permission denied

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Jan 24 15:24:24 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 01:11:36PM -0500, Dennis Clarke wrote:

> > > Do I need to isolate this module, build it as root, and then go back
> > to being a
> > > regular user or ??
> >
> > vmmouse gets the directory to install the udev rules from pkgconfig by
> > default, or --with-udev-rules-dir at configure time. if you don't need
> > the
> > rules, you can consider the installation as successful though and continue
> > to the next module.
>
> Not too sure how to deal with that.  I generally just do a pull from git and
> then fire off a build. This proceeds neatly until it hits the vmmouse module
> which stops the process.  I don't see an option anywhere to skip it and
> I don't know if it is a "need" or a "want".
>
> What I could do is put the username doing the compile into a group called
> "xorg" and give that group write permissions to a few specific directories.
>
> Is that what you suggest ?  Or am I supposed to do this build as the root user?

- custom user with the right permissions or root is one option
- set $CONFFLAGS in the environment to --with-udev-rules-dir. other modules
  will ignore it, those that don't would likely run into the same permission
  issue anyway
- you could fake up a udev.pc with a different rules dir defined and prepend
  that to PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Cheers,
   Peter