driver/xf86-input-vmmouse : cannot create regular file `/lib/udev/rules.d/69-xorg-vmmouse.rules': Permission denied

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Thu Jan 24 10:11:36 PST 2013

> > Do I need to isolate this module, build it as root, and then go back
> to being a
> > regular user or ??
>
> vmmouse gets the directory to install the udev rules from pkgconfig by
> default, or --with-udev-rules-dir at configure time. if you don't need
> the
> rules, you can consider the installation as successful though and continue
> to the next module.

Not too sure how to deal with that.  I generally just do a pull from git and
then fire off a build. This proceeds neatly until it hits the vmmouse module
which stops the process.  I don't see an option anywhere to skip it and
I don't know if it is a "need" or a "want".

What I could do is put the username doing the compile into a group called
"xorg" and give that group write permissions to a few specific directories.

Is that what you suggest ?  Or am I supposed to do this build as the root user?

Dennis