Awfull rendering of fonts in KDE terminal with nouveau 1.0.3 drivers

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 13:38:53 PDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 4:57 AM, Łukasz Maśko <ed at yen.ipipan.waw.pl> wrote:
> I've given a try to latest nouveau driver on my Dell T5400 workstation with
> NVidia G86 (Quadro NVS 290). I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 959NF CRT
> screen.

> At the first glance, one may say, that the first one is blurry becouse of
> hands shaking. But no, it is not. I've taken several pictures and chosen the
> best one. The fonts are REALLY blurry.

When I had blurry text on a CRT (ATI drivers), it was because the
video drivers had decided that my monitor had a native resolution of
1280x1024, and since I was running at 1280x960, the drivers were
running the monitor at the higher resolution and performing software
scaling of the screen.  Everything was perfectly crisp in Xmag, but
the fonts were blurry to look at (everything else was blurred as well,
but the effect was only obvious on the fonts).

The driver probably thinks you're running an LCD, and is scaling the
image to what it assumes is the native resolution.  Try setting the
driver to let the monitor perform scaling, or try changing your
display resolution slightly to try to find what the driver thinks is
the "native" resolution of the monitor.

--
Mark Wagner