Resolution problem with AMD Radeon 5450/6350 and Dell U3011

Johan Mazel johan.mazel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 08:54:26 PDT 2012

I finally found some documentation :
http://i.dell.com/sites/content/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/optiplex-990-tech-guidebook-final-1-4.pdf.
In a short word, for this particular Dell model, Optiplex 990, HD6350
is stuck at 1920x1200. I need to upgrade to HD6450 if I want
2560x1600.
This is also the case for Optiplex 960 with an AMD HD 3450 (cf
https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/desktop-optiplex-960-technical-guidebook-en.pdf).
This means that the guys building graphic card for Dell are
particularly careless/cheap. :/

I'll check the xrandr trick.
I already tried something similar: generating a modeline through
cvt/gft, add it and use xrandr to use it. However, the image was
completely messed up.

Johan