Re: Awfull rendering of fonts in KDE terminal with nouveau 1.0.3 drivers

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 07:24:59 PDT 2012

On Montag, 29. Oktober 2012 12:57:37 CEST, Łukasz Maśko wrote:
> I've given a try to latest nouveau driver on my Dell T5400
> workstation with NVidia G86 (Quadro NVS 290). I'm using a
> Samsung SyncMaster 959NF CRT screen.
>
> Almost everything works well. Almost, becouse fonts in terminal
> are rendered in unacceptable way. But... it is kind of strange.

It's most likely about rendering ARGB visuals in the compositor.
Fonts should be rendered in SW and make no difference. Since konsole is by default one of the few ARGB windows and hardly contains anything but fonts, it's what you see. But fonts are likely rendered in the client (so make no difference from anything else) and showing the picture will happen in a 24bit window.

a) what if you suspend compositing (shift+alt+f12, given you're using kwin)
b) what if you use the xrender compositor ("kcmshell4 kwincompositing", last tab)
c) what if you run konsole in RGB mode ("konsole --nofork --notransparency")

if all or any of this fixes it, you'll have to clarify whether this happens  on kwin (GLX) or kwin_gles (guess what) and in the GLX case when using OpenGL 2 shaders or not (or that's irrelevant)

If it was on nvidia only i'd btw. guess you've FXAA enabled, but the way it is, it actually will rather be a bug in either nouveau or kwin.
We however got to figure "where".

Cheers,
Thomas