Awfull rendering of fonts in KDE terminal with nouveau 1.0.3 drivers

Łukasz Maśko ed at yen.ipipan.waw.pl
Mon Oct 29 04:57:37 PDT 2012

I've given a try to latest nouveau driver on my Dell T5400 workstation with
NVidia G86 (Quadro NVS 290). I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 959NF CRT
screen.

Almost everything works well. Almost, becouse fonts in terminal are rendered
in unacceptable way. But... it is kind of strange.

To show you the difference I've made screenshots with my mobile phone camera
for both NVidia and Nouveau drivers. Picture for nouveau can be downloaded
from here:

http://yen.ipipan.waw.pl/~ed/screenshot_nouveau.jpg

Picture of the same terminal byt for NVidia can be downloaded from here:

http://yen.ipipan.waw.pl/~ed/screenshot_nvidia.jpg

At the first glance, one may say, that the first one is blurry becouse of
hands shaking. But no, it is not. I've taken several pictures and chosen the
best one. The fonts are REALLY blurry. If you have a closer look, you will
see the difference on particular letters. So drawn text is very hard to
read. Changing font size makes no difference, bigger letters are still
blurried. Fonts under other applications like konqueror seem to look OK, at
least everything is readable.

Now, what is the most strange for me - the fonts are rendered in a wrong way
when they are sent to the monitor! If I make a "software" screenshot with a
KDE tool for making screenshots, both pictures look _exactly_ the same. You
can tell no difference between them. Also kmag o xmag tools show perfectly
rendered fonts.

I don't understand it. Can it be fixed somehow? Right now I'm switching back
to NVidia to save my eyes, though I'd prefer open drivers.
--
Łukasz Maśko                                                            _o)
Lukasz.Masko(at)ipipan.waw.pl                                           /\\