Dell D520 and strange X coordinates

Michael George george at mutualdata.com
Wed Oct 10 13:17:47 PDT 2012

I have Fedora 17 installed on a Dell Latitude D520.  I can boot it into
runlevel 5 just fine as a laptop and I can run the default KDE window
manager.  I like to use CTWM, so I use the Custom option.  It all works
fine.

When I put it into the docking station, I have two video outputs, one
VGA and one DVI.  If I boot into the default desktop, they both work as
expected.  However, if I start into the Custom desktop, my ctwm desktop
comes up fine, but it seems that there are 1024 pixels of width off to
the left of the left screen that isn't visible.  There is no
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and the only thing in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d is a
file for the keyboard.

I tried running "Xorg -configure" to generate an xorg.conf file that I
could modify, but it fails because the number of screens doesn't match.
I have searched the internet for a starting xorg.conf file for this
system, but haven't found one yet.

Has anyone here seen this issue?  Maybe there's an easy fix for it?

Thanks!

--
-Michael