black screen after the Ubuntu logo

Timo Aaltonen tjaalton at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 8 01:19:17 PDT 2012

On 08.10.2012 03:10, Dref Hill wrote:
> Hello
> I wanted to install the new Ubuntu 12.10 version from the 12.04LTS.
> But the computer went to sleep during the installation and with linux the
> sleeping mode never work so it froze everything and the upgrade couldn't
> finish correctly.
> When i restarted the computer i got a black screen after the Ubuntu loading
> screen.
> I did a couple of command but nothing had fixed the problem i still with
> the black screen.
> And if i do "startx" in the terminal i get a fatal error that says that the
> problem is from x-org, see the .log file attached.
>
> I opened a topic on the english an french Ubuntu forums but it seems that
> no one have the solution to help me.
>
> any idea about how to fix this problem ?
> The netbook is a HP mini 2140
> CPU intel Atom N270 32bits
> Graphic card Mobile Intel GMA 950
> Chipset Mobile Intel 945GSE Express
> HDD SEAGATE 2,5'' 250 go + 4 go ssd 32 mo 7200 tr/min - hybride/sata ii -
> momentus xt
> 2Go of ram

You should probably use ubuntuforums.org or such for distro questions.

That said, never upgrade when on battery power. You can try running
'sudo apt-get -f install && apt-get dist-upgrade' to see if it fixes
anything. If not, run 'sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop' which should
pull all the bits you're missing now. Last option is a reinstall.