Awfull rendering of fonts in KDE terminal with nouveau 1.0.3 drivers

Łukasz Maśko ed at yen.ipipan.waw.pl
Thu Nov 8 01:23:13 PST 2012

Dnia poniedziałek, 5 listopada 2012, Thomas Lübking napisał:
[...]
> Observation:
> you're running 1600x1200 at 85Hz while basic Single Link DVI has it's
> maximum at 1600x1200 at 60Hz
>
> To run higher resolutions or frequency, the entire chain has to support
> reduced blanking capabilities and there's recently been a mail which
> suggested this was broken in "older" versions of "something" (worked in
> some recent ubuntu, but not debian)
>
> This would impact _everything_ but might be only notable in the
> bright-on-black context of konsole.
>
> So you should either absolutely ensure that the entire HW chain (output,
> cable, input) is Dual Link DVI (full pins, no gap the the plug) or try
> the outcome of 1600x1200 at 60Hz (yes, 60Hz on crts suck) or try a vga
> connection.
>
> xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1600x1200 --rate 60

So I've just checked it. And... nouveau is in fact NOT changing refresh rate
AT ALL. I mean, it is not fisically changing anything. After I execute the
above command, xrandr says, that the refresh rate has been changed (the '*'
mark is moved to the 60Hz frequency. But my monitor, which has an ability to
report its current refresh rate, still reports the same (91.2kHz, 85Hz)
rates. So it seems, that --rate parameter does exactly NOTHING in the
nouveau case. Isn't it strange? I can change resolutions, but I cannot
change frequency...

Still, since I was not able to check the above, no solution for my problem
has been found. Any more ideas? Anyone? For now I'm forced to switch back to
NVidia.
--
Łukasz Maśko                                                            _o)
Lukasz.Masko(at)ipipan.waw.pl                                           /\\