X.Org 1.10.4 issue with Dual Head (Matrox G550)

Knut Schwichtenberg kschwi at web.de
Tue Mar 20 14:07:06 PDT 2012

Hello everyone,

recently I installed opensuse 12.1. The Xserver show the following version string:

X.Org X Server 1.10.4
Release Date: 2011-08-19
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
Current Operating System: Linux gandalf 3.1.9-1.4-default #1 SMP Fri Jan 27
08:55:10 UTC 2012 (efb5ff4) i686
Kernel command line: root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_....
resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_... splash=silent quiet vga=0x31a
Build Date: 10 November 2011  03:34:02PM

Current version of pixman: 0.24.0
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org

Some years ago the same hardware (G550 one VGA screen, one DVI screen) was able
to show 2 distinct screens (:0.0 and :0.1). The previous installation showed one
big screen (2560 * 1024). The current one duplicates the windows from one screen
to the second. This is not useful...

As far as I understand the bug list for the mga-driver the dual-screen option
seems to be broken. Is it possible to reconfigure the Xserver to provide at
least the one big screen or do I have to replace the board?

What are the suggestions to solve this issue by reconfiguration?

If have to replace the Matrox board, I need to replace it with another Dual-head
AGP graphic board - but that is not my preferred solution. Any hardware suggestions?

Cheers,
Knut