multiple keyboard layouts and switch between them - place to set for local user?

Giuseppe Penone giuspen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 14:49:10 PDT 2012

Hi,
I'm running lxde (lubuntu 12.04) and since I need to handle 4 keyboard
layouts and there's no applet allowing this I made it manually this way:

sudo nano /etc/default/keyboard

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="it,us,ru,ua"
XKBVARIANT=","
XKBOPTIONS="grp:switch,grp:shift_caps_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,grp_led:scroll"

this works fine included the keyboard shortcut to switch layout, but I was
wondering if it was possible
somewhere to set this for the logged user only.
actually I'm thinking about writing an applet or an indicator and would
like to be able to avoid the need for
admin rights to add/remove keyboard layouts.