Keyboardmapping with evdev

Daniel Spannbauer ds at marco.de
Mon Jul 16 02:58:59 PDT 2012

Am 07/13/2012 10:06 AM, schrieb Daniel Spannbauer:

>>> I don't think so.....if I don't start any desktop environment (simply a
>>> xterm) I have the same result. Normaly, we use twm which don't has an
>>> ability to change the keyboard settings.....
>>>
>>> Also in kdm (login manager) my keyboard is wrong. The USB-Keyboard seems
>>> to work correctly.
>>
>> do you start X directly or through kdm? i'm pretty sure kdm changes the
>> layout.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   Peter
>

> Hello Peter,
>
> I startet the machine without X (Runlevel3) and simply started
> "xinit /usr/bin/xterm -ls -- /usr/bin/X :0 vt07 -r -br"
> Then I get an xterm.
> In this xterm a setxkbmap -query shows a german keyboard-layout, but it
> is a US-qwerty.

Hmmm, seems to be a Problem with evdev.
If I configure the device "by hand" with

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver       "kbd"
  Identifier   "Keyboard[0]"
  Option       "Protocol" "Standard"
  Option       "XkbLayout" "de"
  Option       "XkbModel" "microsoftpro"
  Option       "XkbRules" "xfree86"
  Option       "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
  # Option     "XKbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps,srvrkeys:none,lv3:ralt_switch"
EndSection

and disable the evdev for the keyboard...then the layout is german.

Regards

Daniel