Video issue when exiting X...

David Sorkovsky DavidSorkovsky at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 12 05:01:46 PDT 2012

Hi all - I have an issue and I'm hoping someone knows the answer...

Ubuntu Server 11.04 + xinit + new motherboad & cpu = problem

I have had X working on my Ubuntu Server for quite a while previously,
however I had to update the motherboard & cpu and that are slightly newer
and now I have an issue...

On the old system I ran "xinit" and on exit it dropped back to the command
line perfectly!

Now that the system has been updated, "xinit" still runs fine, but when I
exit, the display goes blank and the console does not show... About all I
can do is to SSH in and reboot the server.

Early debugging... Only thing I see of note through SSH from another PC on
the LAN is "ps -A" before start xinit has "tty1 ... getty" and after exiting
has "tty1 ... login" and "tty1 ... bash". If I "sudo pkill login" I get back
to "tty1 ... getty" but the screen is still blank!

As an experiment I tried to relaunch "xinit" from the blank screen [typing
blind] and via SSH "ps -A" I saw "tty1 ... xinit", etc, so it seems that the
console was active, but the display was somehow still incorrectly set.
Unfortunately, even though I'd re-started xinit, the screen remained blank -
display mode seems to have somehow stuck in limbo???

Would be great to hear from anyone with ideas - Guessing something around
the graphics mode that remains after X closes or the console resolution?!

PS: New = Gigabyte - GA-H77M-D3H &Intel - BX80637I73770

Dave