live copy of an X screen

Arnaud Loonstra arnaud at z25.org
Fri Jan 27 10:13:45 PST 2012

Hi all,

I've been searching for a while for this but don't seem to find a
solution. My quest is: Is it possible to get a copy of an X screen so I
can display it somewhere else?

Suppose I have two X screens :0.0 and :0.1. Would it be possible to
capture :0.1 and display it in a little window on :0.0? This would be
extremely useful for running things fullscreen on a second display
(:0.1) while controlling it from the first (:0.0) while being able to
see the contents of the second on the first display.

I could write some capture code and get a framebuffer this way but I
thought I would first explore if this isn't somehow built in already or
done before?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Rg,

Arnaud Loonstra