xorg-server 1.13.1, - checksum post-mortem

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Fri Dec 14 23:33:29 PST 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 03:04:30PM -0700, Matt Dew wrote:

> What I didn't realize is that the new tarballs hadn't been uploaded to
> the server, rather the old ones were there.  So the checksums didn't match.
>
> I untarred both the tarballs on my local machine and the ones on the fdo
> server.   The ones on my local machine matched the checksums in the
> announcement I sent out, but the checksums on the fdo server were
> different, but did infact match the ones a couple of you reported.
>
> I diffed the contents of those tarballs. No content differences.

Yes this is one of the things that always annoys me with autotools's
make distcheck.

The tarballs created by 'make distcheck' contain directory entries
which are created every time you run make distcheck and thus have
different creation times every time. So you end up with different tar
balls everytime.

Moreover gzip also adds the mtime of the compressed file to its
header, so even if you generate the same archive twice (whith the same
checksums before compression) you end up with 2 different files once
gzip'd. bzip2 doesn't include the timestamp so isn't affected by this
2nd issue.
--
Matthieu Herrb