special tablet keys X220t

Jonas Jelten jelten at in.tum.de
Tue Aug 14 18:10:48 PDT 2012

Hi list!

I've got a ThinkPad X220t, and already tried hard getting 3 buttons to
work, showkey already provides keycodes:

Tablet portrait: 153
Tablet rotation: 154
Microphone mute: 248

I've a long time, following various wiki pages like
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Extra_Keyboard_Keys_in_Xorg
but had no luck.

xev reports something when pressing the tablet buttons, but is
completely quiet with the mic-key.

This is what xev reports when pressing the 153-key:

>FocusOut event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x3000001,
>    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor
>
>FocusIn event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x3000001,
>    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor
>
>KeymapNotify event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
>keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
>       0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0

Binding the keycode to just "a" or a special XF86 key doesn't help,
no keypress event occurs to be captured by xev or my window manager (i3).

These associations are displayed correctly with xmodmap -pk

Anyone an idea how i can map those keycodes so they can trigger any
bashscript?

Cheers,

Jonas