very bad performance

Mihai Donțu mihai.dontu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 09:00:14 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'm having an issue where everything on my desktop moves dog slow after
some days of operation. :-)

My scenario: I open a lot of applications (konsole, kate, krdc,
claws-mail etc.) which I use the entire time while I'm at work. When I
leave I just suspend my system, go home, resume and continue for
another two or three hours after which I suspend again until the next
day at work. I do this for two or three days. At some point, a few
hours after I resumed, everything starts moving/reacting very slow to
the point where it becomes impossible to work (it takes 2-3 seconds to
move from one email to another in claws-mail, when it used to be an
instant operation). All types of applications (qt-based, gtk-based etc.)
behave this way. The only solution I've found is to close everything,
log out and log back in.

I used to encounter this type of problem when using the nvidia blob,
without doing any suspend/resume.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Does anyone have any
suggestions? None of the logs
(dmesg, .xsession-error, /var/log/messages, /var/log/Xorg.log) contain
anything about this.

My specs are: Lenovo ThinkPad 420, core i7, Linux 3.5.0 x86_64, xorg
1.12.99.903, xf86-video-intel 2.20.3, libdrm 2.4.37, mesa
8.1_rc1_pre20120724, kde 4.9.

Thanks,

--
Mihai Donțu