display does not turn off when screen closed

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Apr 19 05:18:21 PDT 2012

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012, Marty Jack wrote:

> (Sorry not in thread)
>
> The event that happens when the lid closes and opens is reflected in
> /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state.  This is normally watched (via the
> /dev/event* device) by a power manager.  Nothing in Xorg does anything
> with any of the switches (lid, power, sleep).

In my case, I don't want it to be triggered by switch.  It seems like a
bug ... my display is turned off after 10 minutes of activity unless my
lid is closed (then it stays on indefinitely).  I am pretty sure my
display is turned off by my X server (see my xset output in previous
email). Maybe I should report this as an X.org bug.

> You will need to run some power manager such as the Gnome power
> manager or the Xfce power manager, where you should find it easy to
> configure what you want to have happen on a lid close.  I do not think
> anyone has created an LXDE specific power manager but you could raise
> this with the Lubuntu support channel to be sure.

I may do that as a workaround. I may just use apcid. Or I could
simply run a third-party screensaver and configure it to turn off
display after some inactivity. Or I can manually run xset dpms force off
each time I know I am done with using laptop for a while.

Thanks for the response.