display does not turn off when screen closed

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Apr 18 10:36:21 PDT 2012

xset q includes:

Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  600    cycle:  600
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 600    Suspend: 600    Off: 600
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

Some of my installed Ubuntu 11.10 packages are:

xserver-xorg-core 2:1.10.4-1ubuntu4.2
libdrm-intel1 2.4.26-1ubuntu1
xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.15.901-1ubuntu2.1

My Xorg log is at http://reedmedia.net/~reed/tmp/Xorg.0.log.txt

If my laptop lid is open and I don't type or use mouse the display turns
off in 10 minutes.

If my laptop lid is closed, the backlight will stay on.

I can turn off the backlight (even if lid is closed) with:
 xset dpms force off

Any suggestions on how to get the display to turn off after ten minutes
of the lid being closed?

This is lubuntu. I don't have acpid installed. Nothing changes in
/sys/class/backlight when I do "xset dpms force off". I don't want to
watch /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state.  I am hoping that something in
Xorg server can handle this.

Thanks,

  Jeremy C. Reed

echo 'EhZ[h ^jjf0%%h[[Zc[Z_W$d[j%Xeeai%ZW[ced#]dk#f[d]k_d%' | \