Issues running Xorg in 8 bit color mode:q

Doug Kuvaas doug.kuvaas at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 11:49:43 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Aaron Plattner <aplattner at nvidia.com>wrote:

> On 09/15/2011 12:26 PM, Doug Kuvaas wrote:
>
>> I have a legacy application that is run from a UNIX host computer that
>> does not function properly if executed with color depths greater than 8
>> bits.  When I try to run Xorg in the form of Xorg :0 +bs -wm -retro
>> -depth 8 -fbbpp 8, all I end up with is grayscale, no color at all.
>>
>> Hardware is a Dell Optiplex 390 with integrated Intel HD graphics card.
>>  I have also tried using an ATI X300 graphics card to see if it was an
>> intel/driver issue, but both performed in the same manner.
>>

> I know it's plugging my own company's products, but the NVIDIA driver does
> support depth 8.  In addition, on Quadro cards there's a "color-index
> overlay" option that allows you to use depth 8 and depth 24 applications at
> the same time on the same screen.
>
> -- Aaron

> -----------------------
> This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may
> contain
> confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
> distribution
> is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
> sender by
> -----------------------

Nothing wrong with suggesting other options.  Actually, the Quadro card
might work out well because we have some instances where 24 and 8 bit color
would be used at the same time.  Have you verified this card with the more
recent versions of Fedora?  The most recent hardware we have purchased won't
install anything less than Fedora 13 on them as the previous versions lack
the proper HDD drivers and thinks there are no hard drives in the PC.

using the fbdev and vesa driver both do not work for me.  The display is
"compacted" into about 1/4th of the screen.  So my only other option is to
attempt to hack the video driver.  I would much rather have a "supported"
fix if one exists.

Thanks!