savage2 with free radeon drivers on AMD Radeon 6850

Sven Arvidsson sa at whiz.se
Mon Nov 7 05:41:29 PST 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-05 at 19:30 -0500, Alexey I Korepanov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I found  Savage2 in "Supported Program List for Free Radeon Drivers" (
> http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram ), it has with platinum rating on
> Northern Islands.
>
> I wonder how I make it run on my Radeon 6850. My attempts fail:
> khu at globalhost ~ $ /opt/Savage2/savage2.bin
> warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite
> Savage2 - Fatal Error: OpenGL 2.0 not available.
> Segmentation fault

Hi,

Most likely you need to move the libraries shipped with the game
(libgcc, libstdc++ etc) out of the way to make sure it uses the system
libraries.

You can use the environment variable LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose to get more
information in cases like these.

I'm not really sure WHY this is necessary though, even new Linux games
ships broken like this.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson